Add an Article
Add an Event
Edit
54 South Avenue
781-618-9700
Whitman was originally settled and was known as the "Little Comfort" section of Bridgewater. The area became part of the Town of Abington in 1712. Eventually, in 1875, the area was made a township by the State Legislature and was originally known as South Abington. At a town Meeting in 1886, a vote was taken and the name was changed to Whitman.
At the time of the Town's incorporation, there was no public water system, and each household and factory had to have its own well. The Town eventually obtained the franchise for water from Silver Lake but was unable to finance the system. The Town turned the franchise over to Brockton with the stipulation that Whitman could receive its share at a special rate. Silver Lake water was turned on for Whitman on January 2, 1905